Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Obama and Health Insurance

I want to apologize to the select few who actually might try and see if I still post here. This year has been very busy, and I have been unable to post.

Tonight, however, I had some free time and I came across an article which peaked my interest. (you can read it here)

In essence, Obama would like to penalize any person(s) unable to purchase health care. His stance is as foll owes: Since there is a penalty against not having car insurance, should there not also be a penalty for not having health insurance.

I am not sure what I think about this, but I am inclined to straddle the fence on this one. I do believe that all people have the right to their own health care, but at the same time, I also believe that we as tax payers should not have to front the bill. "What I think is appropriate is that in the same way that everybody has to get auto insurance and if you don't, you're subject to some penalty, that in this situation, if you have the ability to buy insurance, it's affordable and you choose not to do so, forcing you and me and everybody else to subsidize you, you know, there's a thousand dollar hidden tax that families all across America are -- are burdened by because of the fact that people don't have health insurance, you know, there's nothing wrong with a penalty." (Obama)

I need more time to think through this one, but I wanted to put it out there and see what others thought as well.

No comments: